7 Ways to Love Your Mother – John 19:26-27
Mary witnessed the crucifixion from the foot of the cross. Can you even imagine how she must have felt? Jesus turns to John and says, take care of her, and looks at his mother and says, let him stand in my place as your son. John lived a very long life, and I believe he took care of Mary until she went to heaven.
Jesus is on the cross, bearing the weight of the sins of the whole world on His shoulders, yet He sees to it to make sure His mother is taken care of after He is gone! As God, Jesus is dealing with eternal matters, but as a man, He’s showing all of us today how important it is to take care and love our mothers!
You cannot be wilfully wrong with your mother and be right with God. If your mother is still alive, regardless of your and her ages, you can love her in these 7 ways:
- Love her verbally – men have the philosophy—I don’t have to say I love you, you already know it. I have told you before, if I change my mind I’ll let you know! Or, I SHOW love, not just say it…and that may be true, but a woman needs to hear those words, “I Love You!”
- Love her physically – When’s the last time you gave her a big hug without her asking for it…or a kiss on the cheek, or a neck rub, or just sat on the couch and held her for a change? She’s the first person who ever touched you…she wrapped you up in her womb for months, and you came out and first priority was to hold you, and she cuddled you, stroked your head, rubbed your feet, held your little cheeks against her, gave you a finger to grasp…in love she did all these things, including grooming you with a licked thumb!
- Love her patiently – Mothers have an incredible job w/ no pay. No position in the business world compares to the physical, emotional, and spiritual commitment she has in motherhood. Love her patiently. Because she’s tender to your needs is no reason to take advantage of her, it’s reason to be patient and to love her all the more!
- Love her attentively – Mothers listen as you pour out your heart…she has a sympathetic ear, and always has…and even as an adult you’ve gone to her when you want someone who will really listen and understand…and she’ll always be on your side.
- Love her gratefully – She needs a sincere thank you, and not just today, but from a genuinely thankful heart when least expected!
- Love her generously – There’s nothing too good for her, we could never repay her, but we ought to die trying before she does! She didn’t spend on herself unless all your needs were met…she could easily do without, and now it’s time for her to have something she wants! She clears her schedule so she can run you around…she gives up opportunities so you can have more opportunities!
- Love her honourably – Exodus 20:12Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. This is binding as long as your mother lives. Another command says children, obey…non-binding when you leave home, but “honor” is different! If the husband is the head of the home, then the mother is the heart…don’t break her heart!
Lord, help us never to be too busy for mom…if you could take time and great effort for her on the cross in your death, help us to love her while we have her in our life!